We've developed, in partnership with Scottish Enterprise, the
Scottish Funding Council and the Scottish Local Authorities
Economic Development Group, a set of Regional Skills Assessments
for the Scottish Enterprise operating area.
The evidence base for the Highlands and Islands Enterprise area
is contained in the Skills Investment Plan for the
Highlands and Islands.
The purpose of Regional Skills Assessments is to provide a
single, agreed evidence base on which to base future investment in
skills, built up from existing evidence. They should:
- support the Scottish Funding Council and Regional Colleges in
negotiating Regional Outcome Agreements
- provide a framework for aligning Skills Development Scotland's
investment in individuals and businesses
- assist partners in planning their strategic investment in
- highlight gaps in national and regional skills evidence.
The geography used for the Regional Skills Assessments was
developed through a series of discussions with partners and a
- across the public sector agencies, different regional
geographies are used
- each Regional Skills Assessment should be built up from a local
- any single local authority should not be split across Regional
Skills Assessments, but a local authority could be included in more